Final day Harrows Grand Prix

On Sunday the final event of season 2019 was held at the Canberra Labor Club as event 30, and the final Grand Masters event was won, appropriately by season champion Damon Heta who defeated the runner up for the season, James Bailey 6-3 in the final.
The quarter final between Damon Heta and Brandon Weening saw none of the drama from their round of 16 match the day before, this time Heta winning 5-0 instead of relying on a last leg decider. The second quarter saw a rematch of the previous two finals, with GG Mathers again getting the better of Mal Cuming, this time 5-1.
The bottom of the draw saw James Bailey eliminate Team Rebel’s other representative in the last eight, Mick Lacey, by five legs to nil. In an all Team Misfits quarter final Brendon McCausland edged out Robbie King 5-4.
The first semi final saw Heta and Mathers hold throw in the first three legs, with the latter holding his throw thanks to a 144 check out. Second time around Mathers could not replicate the result on throw though as he failed in six darts to convert 77 and despite missing 24 Heta was able to revisit the oche and hit the required number for the first break of throw in the match. Heta then held throw to go 4-1 up in the match before Mathers checked out 154 to hold for his second leg. It was too little too late though as Heta secured the match by holding throw with an 82 visit to check out the final leg and win 5-2.
The second semi final saw Brendon McCausland take an early two nil lead after he held his own throw and then broke James Bailey at the first attempt. Bailey struck back immediately though and in 15 darts, thanks in main to a 115 check out, the match was back on level terms. Bailey then threw a 12 dart leg to move a break of throw ahead, only to better that in the next leg, completing his throw in 11 darts. Two maximum visits had him attempting a nine darter but he left tops and instead secured the leg with his 11th dart. With his opponent standing behind him requiring 32 McCausland showed his never give up attitude by scoring the 16 required to move the match back to 4-3. It meant he would have to break Bailey in the next leg to push the match into a decider where he would be on throw but it was a bridge too far as Bailey did the job after scoring 86 just after McCausland had been unable to convert 96 for the leg. Bailey averaged 97.9 in the match.
The final saw Heta hold his throw comfortably before Bailey missed the bull for a 107 check out. Heta failed at tops for a 73 check out and allowing Bailey back to the oche was opportunity enough for the Queenslander to take the leg. Heta then held throw in 15 darts before an unusually poor leg of throwing from Bailey meant Heta punished him in full to move 3-1 ahead. Bailey returned to form in the next leg against the Heta throw but he failed to convert a 121 check out and Heta moved the scoreline to 4-1 on his next visit to the oche.
Bailey then held throw with a 13 dart leg and knew he faced having to break the Heta throw twice to win the match. He failed to do so in the next leg and thus had to hold throw in the next leg just to stay in the match. It was a leg to forget from both players but Bailey was good enough to hold on and take the leg to move to within two legs of his opponent at 5-3. He was then presented with a chance to break in the next leg but missed out on the 20 required from what would be his last visit to the oche as Heta stepped up and collected the 40 needed in two darts to win the final event of the year.
Heta was pleased to finish off the year in Australia so well as he heads off overseas shortly to attempt to build on his success this year. “I am delighted to cap off the season with a win and having won on Friday but missed out yesterday it was great to win today. James has pushed me all season so much respect goes to him. For me at has been a great year and I look forward to the next few weeks and the start of my next darting journey.”